Sunday, March 9, 2008

Turkisms galore...


I haven't managed to blog as much as I wanted-I've been trying to get in as much quality time as possible in Turkey. My time is divided between seeing the people I've missed and soaking up the beauty of Istanbul. So for now I decided to give here a list of the quintessentially Turkish experiences I can't get enough of. First and foremost is obviously the Bosphorous. :)

Then there's my absolute favorite in Istanbul winters-the roasted chestnuts:


and while we're on the subject of street vendors-there's a ridiculous amount of hazelnuts in Istanbul and the government has been trying to promote them like crazy. Booths like the one below have become commonplace in the last few years. Not sure why, I guess there's a surplus? They are so yummy, send them to Israel!!!!



When you're keeping kosher outside of Israel, you resort to eating a lot of salads in restaurants. Foreigners who have come to Istanbul with me can't quite get over the elaborate presentation of even the simplest dishes here:

Back at home the tea pot is the queen of the kitchen, perpetually seated its prime location on top of the stove:



and best of all-the juiciest lemons are here!! Just to put things in perspective-we used the whole bowl below on Friday and I was even sent out to buy more!



Wherever I go I can't seem to get away from food, can I??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Berrale, your blog makes me long to travel more (even though i'm just back from a trip) and experience more. what were ALL the lemons for??? great photos!
j.

Nesya said...

j.-my mom made 8 different dishes (in addition to the 2 others that our guests brought) for shabbat, we were supposed to be 13 people... lemons go into almost everything in turkey, from stuffed vine leaves to eggplant salad. yummmm.