Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Berrrale On The Go

That's right, I've left the homeland for a little get away. Well, not SO little actually. I am currently in Turkey visiting my family and friends and a week from now I plan to be in South Africa! Yay!!! I've wanted to visit Cape Town for many years now and finally I had a wonderful opportunity that I couldn't pass up on. I plan to be there for a few weeks and I am bursting with excitement! (or as we say in Turkish: "My insides don't fit my insides"!)

Of course, me being me, I already have a few baking projects lined up in both countries. Should be fun :)

Say what you will, it is always difficult for me to leave Israel. I feel like a little part of me gets left behind. However frustrated I get with it, it's still my home and I feel a tremendous connection to it. In fact, I feel horrible leaving it at such a bad time, what with all the rockets falling. I love how when there is a war or disturbance going on, Israelis who are travelling abroad flock back to it. We live in a huge pressure cooker, but it's our pressure cooker dammit and we will get in there!

My flight from Tel Aviv was quite uneventful. Unless of course you count the cab driver breaking the handle on my very heavy suitcase... Of course in true Israeli fashion he claimed that I had broken it-never mind that before he touched it, it was working just fine. It was not fun schlepping a 24 kg. suitcase up 2 flights of stairs, I'll tell you that much. Poor little me.

Then there was the security guy at the airport who ran my backpack through the machine twice because apparently mezuzot are a great security risk! Yes, I was asked whether it was indeed mezuzot they saw on their screen after which they let me go. Not quite sure what to make of that.

The other thing I always get a kick out of when I fly abroad is that I get to go to the VIP lounge, courtesy of my old company and their great deals... It gives me so much pleasure to still benefit from these little perks! This is what it looks like:



On the flight itself I really enjoyed the take off and landing cause we were flying at night and I love to watch the city with its flickering lights from the window. It's one of those beautiful sights you just can't capture on camera.

But by far the most amusing part of the trip was my conversation with a Turkish police officer at passport control, it is so bizarre I have to write it out:

Her: So, how does it feel to be married to a foreigner (I'm guessing she didn't notice the name change after the divorce)?

Me: I don't know, I haven't been married to a non foreigner so I can't compare (I really said that!).

Her: Oh, so you're saying there's compatibility (??? don't you love how people pretend to listen to you while they're busy making up their own theories?).

Me: I'd say that as long as they're decent, it doesn't matter where they are from.

Her: Aaaah.

And with that I got my stamp of approval to get into Turkey.

Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You express the ambivalence about leaving the country to take a little break from the pressure cooker very eloquently. Here's to you (and me) getting a breath of air to get back into the pressure cooker and do more "walking of the Land."
have great fun on your travels,
j.

Unknown said...

they let you take photos at the airport?

be sure to be plenty less than 20kg on the flight!!! you only get 20kg in total to SA!!!

Nesya said...

j.-thanks a lot, i am indeed having a lot of fun. here's to a calmer pressure cooker :)

Nesya said...

warren-somehow nobody said anything about my camera. who knows, maybe i will be greeted by the police when i get back! and as we spoke-i am leaving behind a bunch of stuff so hopefully they'll let me into cape town.